Necromancy is usually a poor choice for spellcasters(arcane). Those who really want to master the deathless arts almost always pursue divine means. However, an alternative exists for those who desire power over undead, without losing too much of their arcane power. Enter the pale master, who draws on a font of special lore that provides a macabre power all its own.
Hit Die: d6
Proficiencies: no additional proficiencies are gained
Brew Potion, craft wand, curse song, divine might, divine shield, extra music, extra turning, lingering song, quicken spell, scribe scrol, spell focus, two-weapon fighting, (exotic) weapon proficiency (exotic), (martial)Weapon proficieny (martial), (simple) Weapon proficieny (simple), weapon specialisation
These general feats cannot be selected when taking a level of pale master.
Base attack bonus: +1/2 levels
To qualify as a pale master, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
Alignment: any non-good
Arcane spellcasting: Now requires 5 levels in an arcane casting class
|Lvl||BAB||Saves||Feats||HP range||AC bonus||Undead summon|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||bone skin (+2AC)||3-6||+2|
|4th||+2||+4||+1||+4||summon undead, bone skin (+2AC)||12-24||+4||ghoul (lesser)|
|5th||+2||+4||+1||+4||deathless vigor (+3HP)||18-33||+4|
|6th||+3||+5||+2||+5||undead graft, deathless vigor (+3HP)||24-42||+4||shadow (lesser)|
|7th||+3||+5||+2||+5||tough as bone, deathless vigor (+3HP)||30-51||+4||ghast (lesser)|
|8th||+4||+6||+2||+6||undead graft II, bone skin (+2AC), deathless vigor (+3HP)||36-60||+6||wight (lesser)|
|9th||+4||+6||+3||+6||summon greater undead, deathless vigor (+3HP)||42-69||+6||wraith (lesser), mummy warrior (greater)|
|10th||+5||+7||+3||+7||deathless master touch, deathless mastery, deathless vigor (+3HP)||48-78||+6||spectre (greater)|
Upon reaching pale master levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in his highest caster class (bard, sorcerer or wizard). He does not learn any new spells through this ability, however. They may spend a feat to gain the ability to cast Circle of doom and then Mass Harm. Circle of doom will become available at level 11 and is castable 3 times per day. Mass Harm is available at level 15 and requires that Circle of Doom be purchased already. Mass Harm is castable twice per day.
- Half of your wizard/sorcerer/bard level will be added to your Pale Master level for determining which creature is summoned by the Pale Master summon spells.
- Additional undead have been added to the Create Greater Undead ability.
- On a critical hit the Pale Master touch attacks will now do level drain as well.
Tip: becoming a pale masterEdit
- Sorcerers and wizards make powerful pale masters. Additional spellcasting effectiveness (caster level) is sacrificed for a stronger defense (armour class and hit points).
- Levels of monk would complement a pale master, as monks do not wear armour and have naturally high AC, better saving throws, and increased unarmed attacks per round.
Epic pale masterEdit
The pale master's bond with the undead continues to grow, as she becomes the epic pale master.
Hit die: d6
Skill points: 2 + int modifier
Bonus feats: The epic pale master gains a bonus feat every three levels (i.e., at levels 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, and 28).
Epic bonus feats: automatic quicken spell, automatic silent spell, automatic still spell, epic energy resistance, epic spell focus, epic spell penetration, epic spell: dragon knight, epic spell: epic mage armor, epic spell: epic warding, epic spell: greater ruin, epic spell: hellball, epic spell: mummy dust, improved combat casting
Bonus spells: The character continues to gain additional spells per day in his highest caster class at every odd pale master level, up to the maximum spells per day (at caster class level 20).
Unavailable epic feats:
bane of enemies,
construct shape, dragon shape,
epic weapon specialization, great smiting,
improved ki strike 4, improved ki strike 5, improved sneak attack,
improved spell resistance, improved stunning fist,
lasting inspiration, mighty rage, outsider shape,
planar turning, rage terrifying rage, thundering rage, undead shape
These epic general feats cannot be selected when taking a level of pale master.
Epic pale master level progressionEdit
|Lvl||Feats||HP range||AC Bonus||Undead Summon|
|12th||bone skin (+2AC)||54-90||+8||vampire rogue|
|15th||deathless vigor (+5HP)||68-113||+8|
|16th||bonus feat, bone skin (+2AC)||78-156||+10||ghoul king|
|20th||bone skin (+2AC), deathless vigor (+5HP)||85-142||+12||skeletal blackguard|
|24th||bone skin (+2AC)||97-166||+14||lich lord|
|25th||bonus feat, deathless vigor (+5HP)||105-177||+14|
|28th||bonus feat, bone skin (+2AC)||114-195||+16||elder alhoon|
|30th||deathless vigor (+5HP)||125-212||+16||demilich|
Boneskin: Improves by +2 for every four levels past level 8.
Undead graft: Can use this supernatural attack an additional time per day for every 3 epic levels gained.
Deathless vigor: Every five epic levels an additional +5 permanent hit points are gained.
- Pale masters can take epic spells at level 15, regardless of spell casting ability, provided they meet the spellcraft requirements. The duration of the spells chosen while leveling as a pale master will be based on pale master levels.
- Pale master levels augment spell slots, but otherwise do not affect spellcasting. Thus, a level 10 sorcerer / 19 pale master has the same spells per day as a level 20 sorcerer, but has a caster level of only 10 and only knows as many spells as a level 10 sorcerer.
- The only way a bard or sorcerer may make use of the higher-level spell slots granted by pale master levels is through metamagic. (Wizards can learn spells for these higher levels from scrolls.)
- Gaining a pale master level does not allow a character to change his known spells.